StarLYT

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

GADGET DILLEMAS


Here's the best way to end your gadget temporarily: Kill the batteries.

While our dslar camera became the most precious gadget during our event coverage yesterday, it also proved to be a worthless after all. That is, when the screen finally flashed "Battery Empty" right before our eyes.

It's inevitable and acceptable, but not on instances when you HAVE to take pictures, like during an awarding ceremony when you basically have to take the pictures of every winner, or else you'll be dead. Unfortunately, that became our fate yesterday during the Athena Cup (it's a quiz bee) Finals. While we were happily taking snapshots of people and things, our cam died EXACTLY BEFORE THE WINNERS WERE AWARDED.

I wanted to walk out right then and there. After all, our business is also done once our gadget is done with its functions. But I can't go out that easily; the organizers will be surprised why I am not present on the most important segment of the event. It doesn't make any difference either. I know they were wondering why I am just seated on the front seat while the quiz bee champions are awarded, while the other photographers are clicking their cams away. For a moment I felt that as a journalist, I am not worthy to stay at the event anymore, especially when I saw a photographer from The Varsitarian busily but calmly snapping her dslr in front of the giddy crowd.

At first I actually pretended to take pictures, but I had the feeling of self-awkwardness because I myself know that the cam is dead so I decided to stop that pretentious act and just sit down while my partner stared at the happy faces in front of us. I can't do anything, the best the thing I can do for that matter is write down details, which I did after a few minutes of frustration.

Luckily, we still had a source for the pictures, and it's not from the Varsitarian staff. There was a guy who was just documenting the pictures for himself, and so we just took the advantage (while swallowing our pride) by asking him if we could grab the photos. Thank God he agreed. Anyway, as journalists who could get caught at unexpected circumstances anytime, we have to have the skill of innovating our sources, no matter what the cost.

When my partner reiterated how unfortunate things have turned out for us, all I said is, "Okay lang 'yun." After all, we can't do anything about it. Gadgets are not human beings that could have unlimited powers. Their batteries run out and when all their stored energy is gone, well, they're over. You can't do anything about it except buying a new one or charging it.

And since I had these realizations ever since, I think I'll be a veteran of this battery-dying circumstances. I have to accept it, and that's why I don't grumble a lot anymore whenever my MP3 player spells out "Low Power" on its screen.

And for that matter, I often wished that all of my gadgets could be de-saksak operated, so I could still use it at home and just utilize the batteries on the outdoors.

But if I do that I think I'll be defeating the gadget's definition and purpose.

_______